Arlington, VA – The American Frozen Food Institute (AFFI) today concluded its annual AFFI-CON convention and announced the attendance of more than 1,500 professionals at the four-day event. AFFI-CON, which took place February 25-28 in San Diego, brought together more than 600 companies from across the global frozen food supply chain.
“More and more consumers have turned to frozen food in recent years and the category has experienced exceptional growth as a result,” said AFFI President and CEO Alison Bodor.
“There has never been a better time for frozen food,” added Bodor. “Category sales grew an astounding $19.4 billion between 2018 and 2022. At the same time, today’s core consumer base includes the millennials and Gen Z audience who represent a bright future of growth opportunities as they turn to its convenient nutrition.”
Also at the conference, AFFI processor membership unanimously elected a new slate of officers for the Board of Directors, selected by the Board’s nominating committee. The following individuals were nominated and elected as AFFI Board officers for a one-year term for 2023:
- Chair: John Tentomas, President and CEO, Nature’s Touch Frozen Foods
- Chair-Elect: Suvan Sharma, CEO, Jain Farm Fresh Foods
- Immediate Past Chair: Julia Sabin, Vice President of Government Relations, The J.M. Smucker Co.
The following members were elected to the executive committee for a one-year term:
- Tracey Beck, Vice President, Chief Counsel – Marketing & Government Affairs, Conagra Foods
- Rick Drummond, Senior Vice President of R&D, Quality and Consumer Affairs, B&G Foods
- Tony Shurman, President & CEO, Jasper Wyman & Son
- Jeff Varcoe, Vice President, Manufacturing Technical Services, Schwan’s Company
The following individuals were elected to serve on the AFFI Board for the 2023-2026 term:
- Gary Crowder, President and CFO, Smith Frozen Foods
- Adnan Durrani, Founder and CEO, Saffron Road
- Brian Fox, CEO, Richelieu Foods
- Kelley Martin, Vice President of Sales for North America – Foodservice, Nortera Foods
- Suvan Sharma, CEO, Jain Farm Fresh Foods
- Terry Stover, Vice President of Special Markets, Ebrofrost/Riviana Foods
- John Tentomas, President and CEO, Nature’s Touch Frozen Foods; and
- Michael Thomas, Vice President of Corporate Purchasing, Ajinomoto Foods NA
“The AFFI Board of Directors provides the strategic vision and oversight that guide the industry through future challenges and opportunities,” Bodor concluded. “Their time, dedication and expertise help our association be the effective advocate for all segments of the frozen food and beverage industry.”
AFFI-CON 2023 also included a special celebration of leaders who helped transform the frozen food landscape and develop productive teams. Bodor led the induction ceremony for the Distinguished Order of Zerocrats’ Frozen Food Hall of Fame Class of 2023. This year’s inductees were Ed Flanagan, former president and CEO of Jasper Wyman & Son, Leslie Sarasin, president and CEO of FMI – The Food Industry Association and Dave Yanda, former president and CEO of Lakeside Foods.
AFFI-CON 2024 is scheduled to take place February 24-27, 2024, in San Diego. For more information about the event, visit www.affi.org/affi-con.